It used to be a ‘fight’ and struggle affair in order to get your passport in Ghana in time past. But actually, things have changed now. With the introduction of the online portal, it is easier to grab your passport within a month starting from the day you started the registration process.
Every detail is submitted online, the only time you get to go to the office is to take your passport size picture and verify your documents which are used for the passport and later acquiring your passport. No extra fee involved apart from what you are supposed to pay when you register online.
Initial Requirement for first-timers;
As a first-timer, it is very important to get these documents ready in order to complete the process for your passport acquisition.
- Birth Certificate(Proof of Ghanaian citizenship)
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears the applicant’s name, organization’s name, and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
Kindly pay attention to the two main processes involved in acquiring your new passport or renewing your expired passport. I will group these processes into two; the online process and the offline process.
1.ONLINE PROCESS (Follow these Steps on the portal)
Type of Application to note:
Before you begin the online process, you will come across four (4) different types of applications on the portal in 2020 which you can choose from as applicable to you.
1.Expedited Application 48 PagesGHS 200.00
2. Expedited Application 32 PagesGHS 150.00
3. Standard Application 32 PagesGHS 100.00
4. Standard Application 48 PagesGHS 150.00
1.Create a new user account
2. Login with your Username and Password.
3. If you have already bought a voucher, please follow the steps below verify your voucher;
A. Click on “Start New Application”
B. Select “Verify Voucher”
c. Enter PIN
D. Capture your voucher code (i.e. the 14 digits PIN stated on the receipt issued at the bank)
E. Go through the steps as you are presented with
- NOTE: (The
- option applies to vouchers that were purchased at any of the three banks (i.e. Ecobank, GCB Bank and Zenith Bank) prior to the 18th of May 2020.)
4. To make the payment, click on “Start New Application” and follow the process below;
A. Click on “MAKE PAYMENT”
B. Enter your “Personal Details”
C. Select “Application Type”
D. Click on “MAKE PAYMENT”
E. You will be redirected to a different page (Ghana.Gov) to confirm payment
F. Click on “Pay” and Select any of the “Payment Methods” below;
Scan & Pay
Pay with *222#
Pay at Bank
- A form will be issued into your account after making a successful payment
- Select “My Applications” at the top-left corner of your screen to get access to the form
- Complete all details on the form
- Sign the “Declaration”
- Book a convenient date you would like to go to the Passport Application Centre (PAC) for the verification of your documents and biometrics (i.e. photograph and fingerprint)
OFFLINE PROCESS (Final Part)
The offline process involves you physically making your way to the passport office located in Accra Central, Accra PAC, Kinbu Road (Old Foreign Affairs). Before going to the office with your document and all, kindly make sure to check the status of your application on the portal using your password and email.
After submitting your document i.e Birth Certificate, letter of employment, and National ID, your biometric and a picture of you will also be taken.
Once you’re done with these, you will then be given a date come by finally to pick up your passport. Thats it. You are done!!
So now its is as easy as that. You register online and make the payment, fix a date on your account to go to the office (Please make you stick to this date, because it will be registered in the system of the Passport Office). On the due date, do not forget to go along with all the necessary documents to be verified and also for biometric and picture taking purposes. Once you are done you be given two weeks to come pick up your passport.
The same process applies when you are renewing your passport. All you need to do is go through the online process and make payment and fix the date to go for the renewal. In this case, you would need the document as for verification, only your voter’s ID or National ID.